SCOPE was founded in 1987 to act as a unified source of information regarding educational issues. A group of public school districts came together to join forces for better representation for public schools in south suburban Cook County. In 1996 membership was extended to school districts in neighboring Will County with similar interests.
SCOPE is a grassroots local organization focusing on the needs of school districts in south and southwest suburban Cook and Will Counties. Our major goal is to provide schools with legislative information and to provide legislators and the Governor with educational information. We also encourage member school districts and the community to become involved in the legislative process through regular communication with their local legislators.
SCOPE works to identify school problems and seek solutions. SCOPE is recognized as the voice for public schools in the south and southwest suburban area.
The mission of SCOPE is to provide leadership and organization to coordinate support from the legislature so that children in the south and southwest suburban area will be educated to meet the challenges of the future.
Our Goals are:
1. To monitor legislative activities affecting education and provide timely and concise information to member school districts.
2. To research, develop and seek passage of legislation that would be helpful to member school districts.
3. To establish effective lines of communication with state legislators and other groups.
4. To provide educational information and research to legislators and to the Governor.
5. To encourage member school districts and the community to become involved in the legislative process.
6. To develop an effective working relationship with the Illinois State Board of Education, Illinois Association of School Boards, Illinois Association of School Administrators, and other organizations or persons with whom SCOPE shares mutual legislative objectives.